Monday, September 1, 2008

congruent

Congruent. Similar, whole, complete, true.

Some lives are congruent, some are not. I think the most difficult thing that a person has to live with is the sense that they are not congruent. Not honest with themselves. Keeping secrets. Holding lies. Bearing the pain of bad behavior in the past. Lying about where you are going and what you are doing now.

You know, at the end of the day, you have to lay your head on the pillow and go to sleep. You have to live with yourself. It is much easier to do this when we are honest with ourselves.

I am not a very good liar. The result of that is that you tend to get to see me for what I am . My faults are on display for all to view. I just don't hide them very well.

Honesty is the best policy. If you need to come clean with someone, then do it. Get it over with. Begin to deal with real life and stop the pretend games. We are not fooling God. He knows all about who we are and what we are doing.

Create in me a clean heart O God. Psalm 51

We can hope for a beautiful day, but the day is only beautiful when we begin it with a clean heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeff this reminds me of a sermon you did a few years back, I call it the, "how do you like me now" sermon. You mentioned when we take off the sunday clothes...what are we really like..what have we covered up with those clothes..I often wonder if the congregation saw the real me what they'd think of me...How'd they like me now if they knew it all?" For some reason I think they'd say, welcome Paul, we like you just fine...not because of me...but Because of them. I take a lot of comfort in the fact that I'm in a church with people who are not judgemental. People who realise we're human and we make mistakes and we grow on anyway....and am surrounded by a loving caring group of folks connected to Jesus Christ in a way that I hope to be someday and try every day to get a little closer.