Sunday, May 27, 2012

softball

I dreamed that I was in a softball game.  Ron R was playing second base.  Some young gal was playing third, so it must have been co-ed.  I was up third in the inning.  The first two batters hit to Ron who dispatched them with ease.  Now it is my turn, and here is where dreams get funny.

It is 100 yards to first base.  The coach tells me to swing away, but I decide to bunt.  They will never get to my ball.  I lay it down about five feet in front of the plate and start to run.  I get started down the line to first base and I start to realize that it is much farther to then I had estimated.  The fielders are running in to get the ball- I am laughing because surely I will get to first well before they run all the way in to get the ball.  Then in a moment of surprise, the ball comes flying from behind me out toward the fielders.  I had forgotten about the catcher.  The catcher simply popped out, scooped up my bunt and threw toward the fielders. 

Well, thankfully, it was a bad throw.  I still thought I could make it.  But again, It is a long way to first base in this dream.  I am about twenty-five yards from first when one of the young infielders finally gets the ball and it is a foot race to the bag which she wins.  I am out.

I woke up feeling surprised.  How did this happen?

And now after a little reflection, some morals to the story. 
1.  it can be a mistake to underestimate the competition.
2.  sometimes the goal is much further than you think.
3. sometimes your [my] assessment of a situation is just wrong.
4.  listening to the coach is a good plan.

So it is Sunday morning.  What a perfect time to remind one another that we need each other.  And we need the guidance of our heavenly Father.  Life is more challenging than we think and there is a help, a benefit, a solace that one receives from attending church.  Whether you are struggling with your game or find it going well, we can all be benefited by being in our Father's house.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always something to be thankful for. At least if you play softball in your dreams, you can't get all scuffed up sliding into a base, when things get close.

And what's more, your uniform is always clean and never has to be washed.

Keep dreamin'

Anonymous said...

Always something to be thankful for. At least if you play softball in your dreams, you can't get all scuffed up sliding into a base, when things get close.

And what's more, your uniform is always clean and never has to be washed.

Keep dreamin'