Wednesday, September 1, 2010

mentors

Be sure to read the prayer of Thomas Merton that was shared by Erin in a comment on yesterday's post. I may not be doing this right, but I believe that my desire to please you, does please you. Awesome.

Mentors. A mentor is someone who helps you "get it." They help you leave your little Pollyanna world and face reality. They comfort, advice and challenge. They hold you accountable. Everyone needs one. A child is mentored by his parents. But what happens after he or she is out of the house? Well we are just supposed to know what to do. But we don't, do we?

A mentor does not have to be a forever thing. You can have someone mentor you on a project, through a problem, or over a cup of coffee one afternoon a month. It does not mean turning your life over to a maharishi. But, to not have a mentor is to indicate that I don't need any help. I have it together. I have the answers. Surely all of us can learn from someone. I had a seminary professor who said, "never trust a pastor who isn't someone else's sheep." That can be applied to all of us. Who is mentoring you? Who is calling you forth toward your potential? Who is helping you get it?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a small group of women who are beyond friends that have variying degrees of insight into a variety of areas. I am ever so thankful that God placed these women in my life.

I also have a few of my daughter's friends who come to me (me of all people) that sometimes simply need someone to listen to them or hug them. (Now that my daughter is in college in Texas, I may be seeking them out for the hugs.) I try not to dole out advice and direction so much as offering tidbits (and some experience) to help them figure things out on their own. I try very hard not to be a 'fixer'.

Everyone needs someone that can help them from time to time. It's not always easy to admit.

Tonia

Anonymous said...

Nobody. Its not out of a lack of desire.