Wednesday, November 2, 2016

trunk or treat

On Monday night I witnessed the historic Cape Coral First UMC's trunk or treat.  I had heard all about it.  Popcorn, snow cones, hot dogs, [all free].  40 cars decorated, DJ, bubble machine, bouncy houses and thousands of people.  It did not disappoint.  It was everything that I had heard about.

What I was not prepared for was how the event made me feel.  Yes of course it was a good event for our members- getting together, dressing up, letting their hair down, having fun, fellowship, and enjoying the kids and their costumes.  But, the observation that so so many of the people there had come from the community was touching.  Unchurched, lower income folks whose kids probably didn't get candy like this very often.  It was a blessed gift to the wider Cape Coral community.  I thought of the story that Jesus told in Luke 14 about a great banquet.  The master of the house invites his friends to come for the feast and they all decline with lame excuses.  One just got married.  One bought a cow.  So the master sends the servant to the far side of town, to the other side of the tracks and the least of these are invited in.  Into the master's home where there was a great celebration of love and family.

What I saw on Monday night was a beautiful picture of kingdom living.  Everyone is welcome.  Everyone is celebrated.  Everyone is loved.  I was blessed.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: