Saturday, December 5, 2015

I'm an atheist

I'm not an atheist, but those can be painful words when a loved one speaks them to us.

Random people often tell me that they are atheists. Families worry about their loved ones that say they are atheists.

When someone says they are an atheist, what we hear is that they're throwing away God. I've come to believe that often what they mean is that they're not throwing away God as much as they are throwing away the church. Frankly, the church has no one to blame for that but itself. In my lifetime I've witnessed so much guilt and manipulation delivered from pastors and churches to society that what we're experiencing today is simply a backlash. 

Someone tells me they don't believe in God.  I like to ask them do you believe in love? And if they say yes and they always do, then I simply remind them that God is love. He's not an angry old man in a long beard.  He is not an angry old man waiting to judge you. God is love, and that is something that I think everyone can believe in.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: