Wednesday, November 29, 2017

what was, what is....

What was, what is…

So I was in grade school. I was not liked. I was alone and lonely. I felt dumb and slow.  A rough start to life for sure.
That was then.

In Jr. High my brain started to work. I began to engage in adult conversations. But I was not popular. Still much a loner.

In high school I ran track and played football. I ditched the glasses for contact lenses. I played tennis. I worked at the Bicycle shop. I was president of the bicycle club. I had a girlfriend. I graduated.

In college I was an average nobody.

In seminary I worked to survive. I was 18th out of a class of 84. Nothing to write home about.

Then I served churches in Cache, Oklahoma, Indiahoma, Oklahoma. Lebanon, MO. Princeton, MO. Mercer, MO. Lee’s Summit, MO. And Cape Coral, FL. There was a time when I had the ear of the leadership of our Conference.

Now suddenly I am retired and serving a church part time in Ft. Pierce, FL.  [Great people at this church by the way...]

What was vs. what is….

I used to have energy. Now it appears to be optional. I used to run the 440 yard dash in 58 seconds. Now I don’t run. Some days I hobble. I used to think about the future, now I think about the past. I used to have new ideas. Now I manage old ones. I used to put up the Christmas lights every year. Now I put them up with a note that explains how to do it since I know that this year may be my last.

I used to have ideas about how to fix things at churches. Now I look at what is going on at a church and I think, “oh, my, how do you fix that?”

Life was simpler when I was younger. Life made more sense. Life came easy. The answers seemed readily available.  Now I work really hard to enjoy every day. There is nothing wrong with that. I think a lot of people struggle with meaning as they age.

I am still looking for the beautiful things. A sunrise. A smile. A hug. A friend flying in. There is a savoring of life that I have now, that I did not have when I was young. God makes all things beautiful in his time.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com








I am leading some trips in 2018. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Holy Land via Jordan
March 5-14 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/hl18-brinkman-030518j-17768#eotours

Wesley's Ireland
October 8-17, 2018
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/wesley-in-ireland-2018-with-rev-jeff-brinkman#eotours

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're one of the very best, Jeff! You likely were "then" if people would have taken the time to get to know you. And you definitely are "now" ... to many of us. xo