Thursday, September 8, 2022

Not in the Bible, part 1

.


I have a friend that I dearly love. Recently they quoted me John chapter 8 where Jesus reportedly says to the woman caught in adultery "go your way and sin no more."

This story is included in all of the Jesus movies. And yet, this is a very unusual type of statement for Jesus to make. The Savior who includes sinners and welcomes the broken, in this story corrects and shames the sinner. The same Jesus who repeatedly welcomes Samaritans, children, tax collectors, Romans and the broken is now focusing on sin instead of inclusion and love.

Maybe the church has loved this story because it is easier to focus on sin than love and inclusion.  If I point out your sin I have power over you.  If I tell you that you are loved and included, I free you to live.

It is interesting in the story that he says nothing to the man who was caught in the act of adultery.

Fact of the matter is that this story is not in the Bible. Our earliest manuscripts do not contain the story. It was added later by a scribe. Note the notations in the New International Version of the Bible. See the attached picture.

And if you want to jump in here and "defend" the Bible, I would like to remind you that God does not need us to defend him.  It is time that we stop worshipping the Bible and worship God instead.

Just because the story makes all the Jesus movies doesn’t mean it’s accurate. I encourage you to stop quoting it and stop thinking that is is important. Instead I encourage everyone to work on seeing Jesus not as someone who’s pointing out sin but as someone who is welcoming sinners. Jesus is and has always been a friend of sinners.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: