Thursday, March 18, 2021

I do care.

On Monday, Dick and I did our normal sandwich delivery.  I had a couple of notable human encounters.

Glen is always at the back of the mattress store on "B" avenue and US 1.  On Monday we gave Glen the customary baloney and cheese sandwich, chips, orange and a bottle of water.  When I asked Glen how he was, he said, "thanks to you guys, I am alive."

If you think that Glen should get a job, you should know that Glen is certifiably crazy.  He could never hold a job.  But he appreciated being fed.

Later at Parkview Park we passed out about six sets of food.  A man that I had not seen there before looked me in the eye and he said, "It is nice to see that someone cares."  I paused, looked him in the eye and told him that we do care.  I told him my name was Jeff.  He told me that his name was Robert.  We shook hands.  As I turned to walk away, my eyes filled with tears.

These people just want to know that someone cares.

No comments: