Friday, January 25, 2013

walnut logs

I was driving on the highway the other day and I came upon a truck pulling a trailer of walnut logs.  It reminded me of a story long forgotten.

In 1998 when we were talking about building the new church, a family in our congregation made a great sacrifice.  They allowed a crew of men from our church to go to their home and cut down some very old walnut trees.  The trees were taken to a saw mill down south where they were cut and dried.  The following year, Bill Carter used the lumber from these trees to make the pulpit, lectern, altar, and communion rails in our church.

I remember this story fondly for three reasons.  First of all, I was not involved in the tree removal, and it was one of the first big projects at our church that others managed completely without me.  [Today of course most of what happens at Woods Chapel has little to do with me.]  The second reason I remember this story fondly is because of the generous sacrifice made by the Walker family in giving up their trees.  Finally, this is a great story because of the beautiful result of the fine woodwork in our Sanctuary. 

A chance sighting on the highway reminded me of something from long ago.  An investment in the future rarely goes to waste.  Generosity is a great gift that is celebrated for many years.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: