Saturday, December 7, 2013

garage door

I lose my keys.  I lose my wallet.  I always find them - right where I left them.  One of my favorite authors tells me that if you can't remember where you put things, then you are
in too big of a hurry.  He suggests that we slow down and savor the moment of emptying our pockets, of setting out the collection of things from the day.   What most of us do is set our stuff down, all the while our brain is already in another room.  No wonder we can't remember where we put anything.

And so there is that garage door.  That darn door.  I shut it almost every time I leave the house.  But, I rarely remember doing this.  At least three times a week I have to turn around and go back home to check and make sure.  Now I am usually just a few blocks away from home when I turn around, but I go back to check that the door is down way too often.

I guess I need to learn to savor the lowering of the garage door.  I need to live in the moment and the joy of that instead of rushing off to begin the day.

You know, when I think about that, it bears some merit.  Many people in this world do not own a home, much less a home with a garage or an automatic garage door opening device.  Maybe I should stop to be thankful every time I push that button.  Maybe that would turn a frustrating moment of forgetfulness into a brief time of prayer and thanksgiving.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You turned this garage door thing into good lessons about life and gratitude. But on a lighter note, CONGRATULATIONS. You are now officially a Senior. We do that garage door thing all the time. Sometimes if we're further away, we phone a neighbor and they look out their window to check it for us.

If auto manufacturers can make cars that say "Door Is Ajar" (to which I always say "no, door is a door." they could surely come up with a recordings that say "Garage Door is Closed."

You'll get used to this Senior phenomenon. Not to worry,