Saturday, May 7, 2016

the sadness of life

I was listening to someone talk the other day about the sadness of life.  Not the sadness in their life, but the sadness of life in general- this idea that all of us from time to time have to face things that are difficult and we can easily become discouraged.

I understand this.  I resemble this.  Loneliness, sadness, sorrow, and loss are companions for most of us on this journey of life.  Without making light of such feelings, I want to suggest that we do have choices.  Yes, sad things happen, but we have a choice.  We can fall into depression and wallow in the feelings, or we can work to combat the feelings.

Life is too short to succumb to sorrow.  It is not glorifying to God if we are stuck in sadness for long periods of time.  So let's get to work.  Make new friends.  Read a good book.  Get some exercise.  Stay busy.

Mostly I would tell you that we fight such powerful feelings by seeing the good.  By finding one thing that is going right.  In a world where 99 things are wrong, find the one thing that is right and focus on that.  When we see something that is good, when we see something that is a blessing, it turns a person's attitude.  At least it turns mine.

I end each blog with a tag line.  It is the same every day.  I don't just write it for you.  I also  write it for me.  Sometimes we need it more than others.  Here it is, one more time-

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


No comments: