Monday, August 3, 2020

Fish hook

I thought of this story and I just have to share it.

I am 6 years old.  My family is getting ready to go for a Sunday drive in our 1950 Green Packard.  On the way out of the house, we go through the garage.  I notice in the corner of the garage, a fish hook on a leader.  It was over in the corner on the floor.

This is sick, but I was just a kid.  We did not fish, so it has been in the corner of the garage for a few years, left by the previous owner.  For some reason, I notice it that day.

I pick it up and we get in the car.  Dad is driving, mom is in the passenger seat up front.  I am in the back seat with my sisters.  I am sitting right behind my dad.

I decide, for reasons that only a 6 year old would understand, to put the fish hook into my mouth.  Pretty soon, it is stuck between my teeth.

I say, "Dad, I have a fish hook stuck in my mouth."

Now this statement must seem like gibberish to him.  Where would I get a fish hook?  Why would it be in my mouth?

Dad and I  begin to argue.
I have a fish hook stuck in my teeth.
You do not.
Yes I do.
Mother, what is he talking about?

My mom turns around and to her horror she sees the leader sticking out of my mouth.
She tells Dad to pull the car over.

Carefully, Mom removes the fish hook laparoscopically.

My parents have gone from disbelief, to horror, to determination, and now relief.
And so the scolding starts.

What is wrong with you?
I don't know.
Where did you get that?
I found it on the garage floor.
What!!!
What in God's name made you put that in your mouth?
I dunno.

And that's the way it was on one Sunday afternoon in 1965.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
[and don't put any fish hooks in your mouth]

No comments: