Monday, April 12, 2021

Thoughts from the monastery

 In 2004 I took my first renewal leave.  I visited many places and people and considered their spirituality.  The other day I was looking through the 20 page report that I wrote about the leave.  One of the things that struck me was the thoughts from a monk that I visited with at the monastery in Ava, MO.

Here are some questions that I had for Brother Francis with his answers.

Do monks stay here forever? No, usually not. 90% of monks will leave the monastery. You must be here for 7 years before you make your vows. Almost all of those that leave, do so before their vows. After vows are made, hardly anyone ever leaves.

Do they ever go to town? No. Only the monk who serves as the purchasing agent goes to town. Others could go if they wanted to, but no one wants to. Monks crave silence and solitude, not hustle and bustle.

Is there a secular side to a monk? Monks joke when making fruitcake.   Life is funny. Look at us. Monks are funny. Some of the world’s best humor resides right here in the monastery.

They seem to crucify their passions? Yes, they work very hard at this. It takes a good deal of praying and self discipline to be a monk.

It looks like a hard way to live, but a good way to die? We enjoy our way of life, and when we get old and sick, we take care of each other. The 20 monks that are buried behind the monastery are truly at rest.

I had a good deal of thinking time at the monastery. Here are some random thoughts.

What if in life if I were better at crucifying passions?
no more fights over the last can of coke
I am not addicted
I am not attached to anything
No need for new clothes
I only focus on
Loving others
Doing Gods will
Being a part of a caring community

The results of this might be:
I never feel guilty for wasting time
I have all there resources that I need
I am truly doing good
I am doing God’s will
I understand life

Thoughts from the monastery 2004.  Still good for today.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: