Thursday, February 25, 2016

John Wesley Quote

I ran across this quote and I thought it was quite good, especially coming from a man who is the roots of our denomination and died over 200 years ago.

Some may say that I have misunderstood the way myself, although I presume to teach it to others. It is likely that many people will think this way and it is quite possible that I may have misunderstood at some points. I trust, though, that where I am in the wrong, my mind is open to being changed. I sincerely desire to be better informed. I say to God and others, “What I do not know, teach me.”


Are you convinced that you see more clearly than I do? It is not improbable that you may. If so, treat me as you would want to be treated yourself under the same circumstances. Lead me to a better way than I have yet known. Show me my mistake by plain proof of Scripture. And if I delay on the path I have been accustomed to taking and if I seem unwilling to leave it, work with me. Take me by the hand and lead me as I am able to accept it. Do not be angry if I beg you not to beat me down in order to quicken my pace. I can move forward only feebly and slowly at best. If you belittle me, I might not be able to move forward at all. Also, may I ask you not to call me cruel names in order to bring me into the right way? Suppose I was ever so much in the wrong, I doubt that scolding would set me straight. Rather, it would make me run so much the farther from you. In that case, I would move out of the path of truth still more and more.


Indeed, if you are angry I will become angry also, and then there would be little hope of my finding the truth. Once anger arises, the smoke will so cloud the eyes of my soul that I will not be able to see anything clearly. For God’s sake, if it is possible to avoid it, let us not provoke one another to anger.  Let us not ignite this fire of hell in each other, much less fan it into a flame. If we could discern truth by the dreadful light of anger’s fires, would it not be a loss instead of a gain? Even with many wrong opinions, how much more is love to be preferred before truth without love? We may die without the knowledge of many truths and yet be carried into Abraham’s bosom. But if we die without love, what good would knowledge be to us?

May the God of love keep us from anger. May he prepare us for the knowledge of all truth, by filling our hearts with the fullness of his love and with all joy and peace in believing.
                                                                                                            John Wesley, 1746

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: