Thursday, February 4, 2016

we benefit

We think that we do mission work to benefit the poor.  We think in our arrogance that we are helping people.  I hope that we are.  I trust that we are.  It is certainly far better to help the needy than to not help them.

But time and time again, I have heard it said and experienced it myself-  When we act out in mission, when we step out in love, we benefit as much if not more than those whom we are helping.  How might we benefit from helping the needy?

Here are just a few of the ways:

  • Seeing what others do not have, makes us appreciate what we do have.
  • Seeing people who are happy with less, makes me realize that I can be happy too.
  • I make new friends
  • I get my mind off of my own problems
  • My life paradigm can change.  I can move from being a collector of things to a lover of people.
  • Missional living is habit forming.  It is a positive force that can infect my life and the lives of others for good.
  • I sense a purpose in life.

What are other ways that we benefit?  Please write in with any that you can think of and I will post them.

One final note- we should not help people because of the benefits that come back to us.  That would be selfish.  But neither should we feel like the great saviors that come along side of those in need.  To help another person in this life is a real gift.  It is good for them and good for us, and it is the right thing to do.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.


No comments: