Wednesday, June 28, 2017

favorites

Ahh, the development of sound devices.....  I remember that I had a small cassette player in 1969.  I bought my first music on LP albums.  I recorded some of the songs onto cassettes and played them in my car in 1974.  My car only had an AM radio, so the cassette player sat on the seat next to me.  My parents let me and a friend drive to Disneyland, over 400 miles, when I was 16.  We played that cassette player the entire way there and back.  The Beatles, Beach Boys and BTO.

Anyway, after cassettes came Compact Discs.  CD's.  We bought music on CD's through the mail in clubs.  You remember?  Buy 3 get 6 free.

Then came personal computers and digital music.  Then we started recording our own music from our CD's to our computer and onto printable CDroms.  So instead of just listening to what the record label printed on the CD, we could make our own favorites.

So I was rooting through my car the other day and I found an old CD that I had printed in 2006.  This was prior to jump drives or satellite radio, so a CD marked "favorites" held- well, some of my favorites.

I had no idea what was on it, but I put it in the player and listened.  I may have had 100 favorite songs, but only 17 would fit on that CD.  I was interested to see what I had recorded as my favorites in 2006.  This is what is on that CD, in order:

1.  Van Morrison- Into the Mystic
2.  Leah Kunkel [Momma Cass Elliott's sister]- I've Got to get a Message to You
3.  Paul Simon- Went to my Doctor
4.  Storyville- Good day for the blues.  [A favorite song of my friend Chuck McClamrock, who by the way is a great guy]
5.  Dave Loggins - Please come to Boston
6.  BTO  - Hold back the water
7.  Lynard Skynard - Freebird
8.  Billy Vera -At this moment
9.  Crosby Stills Nash and Young- Find the cost of freedom [anti war song]
10.  Jackson Browne - Load out/stay
11.  Eagles - Hotel California
12.  Lou Bega - Mambo #5
13.  ZZ Top - La Grange
l4.  Cat Stevens- If you want to sing out
15.  Don Henley - end of the innocence
16.  Orleans- Dance with me
17.  Pink Floyd- Wish you were here

I wish I had time to put all the youtube links here, but I don't.  If you don't know any of these songs, listen to them on youtube.  You might just find a new favorite.

What are some of your favorites?  I might want to find some new songs as well.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: