Saturday, June 24, 2017

Prisoner

So I was in Kansas City working for one of my friends on a rental house.  Next door to the rental was a family that kept Basset hounds as pets.  Basset [from the french word meaning low] hounds have short legs and a long drawl of a hound dog bark.  They get big and fat and can be kind of funny looking.  Definitely not a lap dog.

So I am working on the side of the rental house and the Bassets are in the back yard.  Howling at me and rooting around.  Then I notice something.  Do you see it?

There is no fence to speak of.  The Bassets are held in the back yard by a small green border fence.  I paused to think.  Here is a big strong dog who is held back by something that he could easily plow right through.  I guess his mind says that he is fenced in.  Oh what fun they are missing by staying in the back yard!  I imagine them breaking free and carousing around the neighborhood creating great memories, but they won't.  The green "fence" holds them back.  Or something in their mind holds them back because the fence can't do it alone.

So, how about you?  How about me?  Are we held at bay by something that we could easily plow through?  Are we satisfied with a tiny back yard sized life when the whole world awaits our exploration?  What ever fences you may have allow to hold you back, push through them and take over the neighborhood.  What a story you will have to tell.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: