Saturday, July 11, 2020

believe or follow

A friend asked me a question... how can I believe that God had to kill Jesus to make himself happy? 

I think that there are many things that we have believed because it is what we were taught as a child.  We drank the kool-aid and have never had the guts to question what we were taught.

My friend and I got to talking about lots of random things that we may or may not believe. 

A flood that covered the entire world?
Every species of animal on an ark?  What about termites?
God's apparent need for blood.
Jonah and the whale.

You may or may not believe those or other things from the bible.  But I have decided something for myself.

1.  Question are allowed.  Questions and doubts must be allowed.  God would not make us drink the kool-aid.  As a Christian, you don't have to check your brain at the door.

2.  Believing everything that we were taught as children is not mandatory.

3.  How we follow, in my opinion, is more important that how we believe.

At the Pearly Gates the question will not be... Did you believe the nature of Jesus just right?  or Did you believe the second coming just right?  Or any number of ridiculous things that religious people get stuck on.

At the Pearly Gates I think the questions will be about how we followed.  Not was I a believer in Jesus, but was I a follower of Jesus.  Did I show kindness.  Did I strive to love others.  Did I evaluate my thoughts and actions based on how Jesus lived?

Following well is more important than believing just right.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: