Friday, July 10, 2020

respect sandwich

I spent an hour the other night trying to help someone understand the importance of treating others with kindness.  Although it is hard to believe, I made no progress.  Some people just don't get it.  They still think that life is all about them.

Now having said that, I must celebrate a story of kindness from my court reporter friend.

She wrote...
Thank you for sharing the story about feeding a one-armed homeless man a sandwich and preparing it for him in a communion-like manner.

This has reframed how I now perform my work duties. I used to serve stressed-out litigants cold water to drink and tissues if they needed a good cry before hearings. Now we are masked, so no drinking and no blowing noses! It is sometimes hard to understand masked people talking, so I am making sure my voice is courteous and warm when I ask them to please repeat their answer. When the proceedings are over and everybody is packing up, I thank them for helping me make a good courtroom record and we visit a little bit. I’m serving a respect sandwich to those who need uplifting as best I can.


A respect sandwich.  I love it.  Kindness is good for those we are kind to, and it is good for us to.  Kindness makes the soul glad.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: