Saturday, November 27, 2010

give thanks, day 27

(thank you "Fisher of Men" for the following post....LDM)


I am thankful for a father’s love for his son. I love my son with all my heart and being just as God loved his one and only son. My son did not get to spend Thanksgiving with us this year. It was not that he didn’t want to it is due to the fact that he is thousands of miles away in Iraq serving his country and finishing up what he volunteered to do. Over the past 8 months I have struggled with him being gone and not being close to him. With Skype and the internet I have been able to keep in contact with him but it is still not the same as being able to hug his neck and tell him that I love him in person.

I have prayed that God will keep him safe and as his time to leave Iraq is just days away I find myself thinking of him and praying even harder that he will be safe. Eight months of service and so far he has come through ok but my biggest fear, as a Dad, is that something might happen as he is so close to being home.

As his departure gets closer I have been thinking about my son more and more. He is not the little boy he used to be. He is not 8 or 12 or even 16, and as a parent we wonder how our guidance and directions have helped or hurt our kids as they get older. He is now 23 years old and he has grown into a fine young man with a heart of gold.

My love for my son is stronger and deeper than it ever has been. Isn’t that how it should be with our Heavenly Father’s love towards us? There is nothing we can do to stop God from loving us and I know that is the same as with my son.

My son will be back in time for us to celebrate Christmas with him. I have missed him so. What a joy that will be to celebrate the Birth of Jesus coming into this world and to celebrate the safe return of my son and my hero! I am very proud of him! I am so thankful for a father’s love!


Fisher of Men

No comments: