Thursday, March 29, 2012

the power of a kind word

I have a friend who shared the following story.  I love it!

On my way to work this morning, I stopped by Starbucks for my fix.  As always, my mind was on what I needed to do for the day and what I wanted to accomplish.  Leaving my car I encountered a city sanitation worker stabbing trash with a fork and bagging it up.  I honestly don't know where my words came from...I usually go on about my business.  But this time, I stopped and said..." thank you for your work, I really appreciate what you are doing".  I have no idea why I said that to a perfect stranger.  I walked on down the sidewalk.  Next, I heard.."Hey..come back here"  Turning around, the guy said to me..."Nobody ever said that to me before..thanks".

Like I said..I am usually about MY OWN business.  At the moment, I felt like the day was worth living because maybe I made it better for someone.  But later on, I decided that the incident did much more for me than it did for the trash man.  Maybe I was about ANOTHER business and didn't even know it.  Maybe I had already accomplished what I was supposed to do for the day.  Hmmmmm

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to say the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honestly, my husband says things like that, and sometimes I have to admit, I am embarrassed! But, you know what, then again I am envious all in the same breath! I admire this quality, and I have done it a few times, and I honestly can say, IT FEELS GOOD & RIGHT! And, I believe there are people out there that never are told that they are appreciated. We take even the smallest things for granted sometimes!