Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Walmart Man

And so I am walking out of Walmart at 5:02am.  There is an employee sitting on a bench, smoking a cigarette.  I think to myself, what does the Walmart man think about as he sits on the bench outside at 5am?  I would think about the rest of my day.  I would think about my life.  I would think about my hopes and dreams.  I would think, "one day, I am going to own this place."

In the parking lot, a pretty young lady is waiting in her car which is parked next to mine.  Music on low, car running, window down, smoking a cigarette.  I know what is going on, she is waiting for another Walmart man to get off of work. 

I say hello and get to work installing my new wiper blades.  [See yesterday’s post.]  I get in the car to leave and I wonder again about the people that are here at 5am.  Taking a smoke break.  Waiting to pick up their guy.  They both look at me and suddenly I realize what they are thinking.  “Why is that old man here at 5 in the morning, putting wiper blades on his car?  Get a life old man.”

It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're thinking too hard.

Funny.

Anonymous said...

How can we help Jeff get over the "old man" label he's adopted? A recent study indicates that the new "really old" is 90. So Jeff has just barely passed the half way mile marker.

You're not old by any stretch of the imagination, Jeff. But you're going to be, if you keep making such frequent trips to the "I'm not a preacher" taco haunts, otherwise known as the cholesterol pit stop.

Anonymous said...

maybe theres an app for that?

Anonymous said...

Old is as old does. I used to think I was old when I was 50 ish, twenty five years ago, now I don't

Walt