Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Old Friends


Old Friends


Dan and I were best friends in 1975.  We were 18 years old.  I moved to Kansas City with my family.  Dan met Sharon and fell in love.  I drove back in 1977 for a visit.  He came through town in 1982 and I met him at the airport.

 
The years came and went.  Marriage, children, jobs, life.  I found Dan last year on Linked-in.  Dan lives in Livermore, California on the East side of the bay.  Last week we were on vacation in Santa Rosa.  Dan drove up to spend the day with us.

 
I was a bit nervous.  What would we find?  Would it still be the same?


He walked in our hotel lobby at 8:30am.  I smiled.  We hugged.  The rest of the day was spent catching up and remembering when.


The entire experience was completely delightful.  What a fine man Dan has become.  I am not surprised; he was quite a fine teenager. 

 
When it was time to part, I told him thank you.  I meant it.  It was such a blessing to see him and catch up.  His stories of our youth [some I remembered, some I did not] were heartwarming.  It was a gift to be with him.  I hope that we can meet again.


If you have an old friend that you have not contacted in a while, based on my experience, it is well worth the effort.


It’s a beautiful day in God’s world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So happy for you. No material thing on this earth can supersede the worth of a good friend. The ability to make and keep friends is such a blessing from God.