Monday, March 16, 2015

from a reader

I have been pondering your blog about the homeless and reading that one comment from the other day. I have a friend that feels the same way about giving to the street people, but I really think it has nothing to do with that. You respond to the Spirit's nudging or not. Will I follow my Jesus when He calls or do I let someone else receive the blessing? My Choice. And do they give to well dressed people vs homeless? Approval is also a from of judgement.

I have been using this 10-second rule for a while. My daughter in Cali had shared a sermon her pastor gave on learning how to answer God's call to action within 10 seconds. When a thought pops in your brain, you have 10 seconds to process the situation. Within that time frame you have already done a quick evaluation, decided to take action, talked yourself out of it or doubted your gut feeling, which results in no response at all.

I'm a pretty instantaneous decision maker and love checking things off my list as to move on to something else. I many times wonder if God is keeping up with me! I have been starting my day out lately in anticipation of how God might use me as a blessing to someone.

Intentional, missional living as Hebrew 10:24 says: And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. So Monday morning I'm at the QT filling up with gas when the nice, well-groomed, young man wearing a dress shirt and tie approaches me with reddened eyes and tears just about ready to spill out at any moment. He says "I have a job interview that I am going to be late to, I needed some gas and realize I forgot my wallet." He lowers his head and says, "I have never had to ask for money before, but do you perhaps have $5 so I cold put some gas in my car?"

And me who always say out loud what I am thinking blurts out with a big smile, "YOU are my mission blessing today!" I didn't even need ten seconds to think about it, I reached into my wallet and said, "I'm sorry I don't have $5, will you take $20?" He wants to go into QT and get me some change, I touch his arm and say, "No, please just fill your car with gas and go get that job." (one of my principles in De-meaning myself this Lenten season said: never expect paybacks ).

I am so glad I was wearing my sunglasses as I start to shed a few tears alongside him. I thought about that young man all day, praying for his job interview, praying that he saw a glimpse of Jesus in my act of kindness and he would someday pay it forward to someone else in a time of need.

I hope to always keep myself awake to the fact I am one of God's good news people in this mundane, routine everyday life. When I started up my car to leave QT, I hear these words from a song on the radio, I just want a heart like You.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ran across this quote last week while reading your 'Homeless' series and liked how it ties in with what you have been saying:

“Here is what we seek: a compassion that can stand in awe at what the poor have to carry rather than stand in judgment at how they carry it.” – Gregory Boyle

-See more at: http://momastery.com/blog/2015/03/11/rachel-groove/#comments