Friday, March 27, 2015

the things that we don't know

I was very surprised when in response to my posts about homeless people, one of our members sent this in:

You don’t know this but my family lost our house (foreclosure) when I was a senior in HS. My dad left home about the same time and we did not hear from him again until we were told he died. I’m not sure how my mom managed because it looked like we would be homeless back when no one used the term. At the last minute her parents agreed to take us in even though my grandfather did not like me or my brothers as we reminded him of our dad. As you know things have worked out very well for me in this life. Even at that time, two of my friends’ parents were willing to take me in if necessary. That time is a constant reminder to me that anyone can be homeless. For whatever reason I did not have to walk that path but I am certainly in no position to judge someone who does. If I see people holding the signs I give them money. It’s not a big question for me. I remember my mom who fought thru everything and my friends’ parents who reached out. I was put on this Earth to share what I have with others. It’s a privilege that I’m grateful for every day. Thanks for your blogs on the homeless. The WCC members help people every day. There is no greater way to practice God’s love as a church body.

You see, a person's experience so shapes how they respond to those in need.  Maybe if more of us had lived through having little or nothing, we would be more understanding of those who do have little or nothing.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: