Monday, March 9, 2015

truth part two

I posted one day last week about truth.  Jesus is the truth, I said, capital Truth, much bigger than our version or experience of the truth.  A reader commented and asked if I would say a few words on how people can discern when a truth is true.  Is there a way to know that something is true?

Lets begin by remembering that truth is going to rise to the top.  It can be ignored, but it will always come around.

I would also tell you that many people don't like the truth.  They would rather live a comfortable life that revolves around them, than consider the truth.

Many Christians point immediately to the Bible and you can read a lot of truth in the Bible, but there are also people that take verses out of context and use the Bible to hurt people. I think that behavior makes God angry.

I believe that good people know intrinsically know, inside their hearts, what is good and true and right.  You know when you hurt someone.  You know when you do wrong.  When you tell the truth and act in ways that are true, you don't have to cover your footprints later.

Many people never open their eyes or their mind to see how their actions hurt others.  This is a grievous sin.  The entire nature of spirituality revolves around waking up and seeing what is out there in the world and what is going on inside of me.  We must get off of auto-pilot and see how our words and actions hurt others.

Truth brings love, joy and hope.  It may also sting a bit when we are confronted by it, but it is never condemning, God's truths always point us toward hope.

The reader asked a good question.  I am not sure I have addressed it.  But I do believe that we know inside what is good and true and beautiful.  May our lives gravitate more toward those things.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks much for all sharing this insight.