Friday, April 5, 2019

Talents

My friend Pat wrote in...

Here’s another take on the parable of the talents. You know the story. One guy gets 10, uses them and makes another 10, and is praised. Another gets 5, uses them to make another 5, and is praised. The last gets 1, doesn’t do much with the little he has and gets punished. The message I usually hear is this... do something with your talents, no matter how meager.(Isn’t it something that “Talents” has a double meaning here?)

I wonder about the guys in this story. Not Mr. Big Man on Campus No. 1(BMOC). He’s fine. I can’t help but identify with guy 2 and guy 3. I mean, think about it from their perspective.They probably both look at each other and think “He’s no different than me”.. So why does BMOC get twice as much as Guy 2 and 10 times as Guy 3? How could they not ask those questions? Hasn’t that been you and me all our lives?

Age hasn’t given me many answers, but I have learned that most “Why” questions never have satisfactory responses. And asking Why in the story of the talents is really distracting, because there is not a good answer. Why is Bill Gates smarter than me? Why is Tom Cruise better looking? Why is the only thing that Patrick Mahomes and I share is a first name? Because it is.

The lesson from the parable of the Talents is not to get distracted by what others have, even if its unfair in your mind. (though justice sometimes requires nothing but attention to disparities that occur, but that’s another article). Don’t compare(which is like saying don’t be human). Ok, don’t give in to comparison.

I didn’t get 10 talents: I’m lucky to have one and I consider that attitude a blessing.

Think about it.

Can you hear the birds sing? What are they telling you about the beauty of God? Sometimes, no words are needed.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

- - - - - - - - -
I am leading some trips this year and next. If you are interested in reading about them, or joining in, the links are below.....

Paris-Normandy River Cruise
October 23-31, 2019
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/tours/rc19102319x17768#.W3avNFJK3cs

Holy Land Trip leaving January 20, 2020  $2998 from New York
http://www.eo.travelwithus.com/files/uploads/HL20A-2.pdf

No comments: