Wednesday, June 24, 2020

the one armed man

I have told you that my friend Dick from church and I deliver sandwiches on Monday morning to the homeless in Ft. Pierce.  I have told you that they are very very appreciative.

I love doing this on Monday mornings because it feels like such a holy thing.  The folks are always so thankful and also so hungry.  Most of them open the sandwich and begin eating immediately.

This week on Monday we were passing out sandwiches to our last group.  The last person was in a wheel chair.  I started to hand him the sandwich.  He asked if I could open the baggie.  He said kindly, "you see I only have one arm." 

When we take sandwiches we put mayo packets in with them.  Some like or don't like mayo, some want to eat the sandwich later, and the packet keeps the sandwich in better condition if being eaten later.

I asked the man, do you want us to put the mayo on for you?  He said yes.

So in a moment that reminded me a bit of holy communion, preparing the elements, my friend Dick held out his hands like a table.  I pulled out the sandwich, opened in onto his palms and squeezed out the mayo.  I spread it around, put the sandwich back together, and handed it to the man.

He said thank you so much.

I walked away with tears in my eyes.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com




No comments: