Thursday, September 24, 2020

The orange

When I was a kid we always got an orange in the toe of our Christmas stocking.  I never really appreciated the orange, but over the years I have learned the significance of this gift.

During the Great Depression, oranges were scarce, everything was scarce.  Kids did not get bags of candy like we did growing up in the 60's.  Without fanfare or explanation, my mother [a depression era child] would put an orange in the toe of our stockings year after year.  I know she was hoping that some day we would understand the significance.

As her parents went to great length to give this scarce treat to them on Christmas day, she was reminding us that there are precious things in life to be savored.  It has taken me years to understand the value of that orange.

This year, my kids are going to get an orange in their stockings.  I know that one day they will understand.

May we all find ways to give from the heart, scarce and precious things that will be a blessing to others.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: