Wednesday, March 26, 2014

my parents

I was listening to a song the other day, In the Living Years by Mike and the Mechanics.  I have always liked the song, but never really listened to the words.

Wow.  There is a post all by itself. I was there, but I wasn't paying attention.  Anyway, the first line of the song says, "every generation - likes to blame the one before." And then it goes on to think of and appreciate the good that a parent had done, and Mike says, "I wish I would have told him, in the living years."

I notice in my life that when I talk about my parents, especially my mom, it is pretty rough.  That is because it was rough.  I want my kids to have better.  I want people to know that there are some things that are bad examples and there are some difficulties that we can over come.

Still, my parents did much good.  They loved us the best that they could. They were refugees themselves from very difficult upbringings.  I just want to stop today for a moment.  I want to set aside the bad and honor them for the good.

If your parents are living, call them and thank them for the good that they did, no matter how mixed your upbringing may have been.  Do it while they are still in the living years.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to have Alli, Jenn' and Scott's dad back. Hoping the "look Dad, no blog to write for a week" felt good and was refreshing.