Saturday, March 15, 2014

quiet

I sit here when I visit the redwoods.
As I write this, the house is quiet.  The tick-
tock of a clock.  The hum of the refrigerator.  Oh.  Here comes a cat.  Cat's can break the silence, but they settle down after a few.

There is a blessing in quiet.  When I sit down to listen, I can hear my heart beat.  I can find the restful, peaceful place in my mind.

I love taking vacations where things are quiet.  Sitting by a pool.  Reading by a tree.  Taking in the cadence of the waves at the beach.

When was the last time you experienced the gift of quiet?  Would it hurt you to take 20 minutes right now and just sit still?  I don't think it hurts our day, I think it helps our day when we find moments of silence.  Things go better with silence.  It helps us remember that we are a soul on a journey in this world.

Take a few moments.  Rest.  Savor the gift of this day.

It's a beautiful day in God's world be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great post.

"In quietness and confindence shall be your(my) strength." Isaiah 30:15

Anonymous said...

And another thought. I too cherish times of silence and solitude, to refresh my body, mind, and soul.

But a kind of silence that is not productive, and we possibly have more of this kind of silence in our world today, than ever before, is the "Sounds of Silence" described in Simon and Garfunkel's beautiful song by that name. Prayers and God bless those in our world today who are silent because of oppression or discouragement.