Sunday, July 13, 2014

The phone

Beware, ye that seek to do good deeds, sometimes they get very complicated.

It was Good Friday and I was leaving our subdivision to run some errands.  Friday is my day off, so it is ok for me to run errands.  Although no pastor is ever off on Good Friday.  Anyway, I am running errands.  About two blocks from my house I see a cell phone lying in the road.  I stop to pick it up.  Possible mistake.

I find a number to call in it and leave a message that the phone can be picked up at the church office.  I am just going to drop it off there.  When I get to the church, I see that the office is closed because it is Good Friday.  There is not a car in the lot, so I can't tell the phone owner to pick it up at church.

Then the owner calls me from another phone.  He doesn't own a car.  Can I please drive the phone out to him?

Oh brother.  Here we go.  So now I am driving the truck [10 miles to the gallon] on a very busy day to return a phone that I could have just left in the street.  I have to meet the guy at 87th and Blue Ridge.  Do you know how to get to 87th and Blue Ridge from Lee's Summit?  There is no easy way.

Well, I get to the meeting place and hang around for a while.  No taker.  I ask several people if they are looking for a phone.  Nope!  I am getting frustrated.  Finally he shows up, I give him the phone and take off.

Back to my day, what ever was so important about my schedule, I don't know.  When it was all said and done, I was glad that I helped the fellow.  He looked like he needed someone to help him.

I have come to believe that it is better to help one time too many, than to not help someone who may really need your assistance.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Jeff, but this whole thing smells of things more than just a lost phone.

Couldn't help wonder why someone who lives that far away and doesn't have a car, was doing two blocks from your house.

Forgive my going there with my thinking, but I guess it's just the days we live in.