Saturday, December 19, 2015

Don't Miss The Manger"

Don't Miss The Manger

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."  John 3:16

"Quick!  Move those papers off the table.  Get these crayons out of here.  Who left their cereal bowl out?  Come on, really?  It's 3 in the afternoon.  Who's take-home folder is this?  Bookbags people.  Bookbags.  Those hooks in the foyer are for a reason!  Nope, you can't have the Darth Vader mug; I want matching cups for everyone.  Don't hit your sister.  No, I did not give the others more.  You all have the same amount.  Really, must you count the mini-marshmallows to prove I've been fair?  Geez.  Okay, you sit here, you sit here, and you sit over here."

"Mom, what are you doing?"

"Making memories.  Quick scoot together and act like you like each other.  Okay, ready?  Everybody smile."

And THAT'S how I make a memory.

I could write a caption for the photo I took that reads, "Colder weather brings the time of sweet children sitting around the table with frothy mustaches and rosy, wind-kissed cheeks."  But that would be on big ole lie!  Let's face it, a mouth full of marshmallows muffles the incessant quarreling that has been going on non-stop around here.  I don't know about your home, but it's like the "little folk" have just up and lost their minds.  I'm not doing much better.  With squabbles, whining, and smart mouths; Momma's breaking down too.

My goal for the past three years has been to make Christmas break exactly what it's called.  A. Big. Break.  A break that slows us down enough so that we don't miss celebrating why we honor Christmas in the first place.  A precious Son given by His Father to save us all.  God so loved us that He gave His Son!  Words learned in my youth that only grow weightier as I see the depths of my own sinful soul.  How can I afford to miss such a precious gift?  A son given for me.  Thank you God.  Thank you.

I have determined not to miss it.  Not to miss Christmas.  I have determined my family won't miss it either.  As I mentioned, we have had to make some adjustments to our Christmas scene.  For starters, we scale way back on activity.  We also make use of the word, "NO," a lot when asked to do things.  We let go of the need to have to be everywhere and everything for every one. The Buccero's have started to learn the healing in shutting down for a recharge.  We focus on togetherness or as my husband likes to call it we concentrate on, "Team Buccero."  We slow down to reconnect and refocus.  We don't want to miss the manger. 

The month of December is well underway.  Christmas is close at hand.  Don't wait until school starts back to say, "What happened to the holiday?"

If stopping is not natural for you, make yourself do it.  Plan a day to just stop and be; to stop and listen, to pause and pray.  And don't just do religious activities either for the sake of being religious during the holiday.  Seek a fresh nudge from the Spirit to be Spirit led this Christmas.

Don't miss the Son born for you!  The Light of the world has come!  Grab a cup of coffee or cocoa and a smile as you celebrate the birth of your King.  Hallelujah!

Prayer:  You gave us your Son.  Your precious Son.  Don't let me miss that truth this Christmas because I'm too busy.  Slow me down to see the manger.  Slow me down to truly worship the King this Christmas.  Amen.

Merry Christmas and hugs to you my friends.
Ami

No comments: