Thursday, December 17, 2015

wanting less

It seems that the older I get, the less that I want.

Is that because I am more interested in people than things?  I hope so.
Is that because I have met friends in Nicaragua whose Christmas list would have one item on it:  food.
Do I want less because I am becoming more spiritual?  [my wife would doubt that]

What I fear is that we learn to want less when we have enough.  I remember when I wanted a new TV, a bigger TV, another TV.  I don't want TV's any more.  Is that because I am growing up or because I have enough TVs?

My dad used to ask me how many pairs of shoes I could wear at once.  The point of that is that we don't need more stuff.

Well, I do know people who have very luxurious lifestyles and still want more.  I know people that just never seem to have enough no matter the level of opulence in their lives.

Whatever the reason, it makes me happy to want less.  It allows me to love others more.  It makes me happy to look at what is, and to be content with things as they are.  I don't need a different car.  I don't need new clothes.  I'm just glad to be alive.

All this seems true until the tool catalogue comes in the mail.  Then I begin to covet again.
What is your relationship to wanting things?

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see that it is good.  It is enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want less, love more. Awesome!

Unknown said...

The older I get, the less material 'stuff' I want.
The older I get, the more companionship, compassion, a solid relationship with Jesus Christ, healthy and happy children, a pain-free body and a warm and loving home.