Sunday, September 11, 2016

change your perspective

My friend Bruce came to town a few weeks ago.  We drove to Miami on Thursday  afternoon to catch the Royals-Marlins game.  We stopped in Napes at a gas station that also had a Subway in it.  We sat outside at this picnic table.  I was sitting across from him, near the tire on the truck.

While we were there, an ice truck pulled up right behind me.  I'll bet that the hot exhaust was about 4 feet from my back.  The driver got out and opened the side door and began throwing ice into the ice freezer.  [look closely and you can see him behind the freezer door] My back was to the truck.  All that I experienced was the hot exhaust blowing on me.  Bruce had a different perspective.  He saw both the exhaust on my back and the frosty air pouring out of the ice truck.

I complained about the truck being so close and the heat on my back.  He said, well you know Jeff if you just move over to the right a little bit, your perspective will totally change.  From hot to cool simply by moving about ten feet.

There is of course a cute little moral to this story.  Are you feeling the heat of life?  Are you focused on what is wrong?  Change your perspective.  Move over.  Look at the thing a different way.  A better way to experience this thing is just a few feet away.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: