Thursday, September 8, 2016

words

Words can hurt.  We should be very careful about what we allow to pass our lips.

Psalm 19 says, "may the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing to you."  Had paper, pen, twitter, blogging, texting and email been available to the psalmist, he may have written this:

Lord, may the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart, may my tweets be sweet, may my blogs be wholesome, may my facebook be uplifting, may my texts always include a smiling emoji, and may my emails always be kind.  May all of it be pleasing to you.

When I have to send an email that I know is not going to be popular, I always have my wife or a coworker read it before it goes.  Sometimes we don't realize how we are coming across and their advice can help us see what we otherwise would not.

Wesley's first rule is "do no harm."  May we work more diligently at communicating in ways that show love, even when, especially when we are annoyed about something.  After all, God loves and deeply values everyone, even the ones with which we are unhappy.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: