Saturday, July 8, 2017

why


Why??? We like to ask why.

Why is my face getting wrinkled? Why do I have car trouble? Why do I have to wait so long in the doctor's office? Why did my kid move away?  Why does so and so hate me? Why did I not get that promotion? Why did God let this happen to me? Why do I have this chronic disease? Why? Why? Why?

One of my favorite movies is the 1990 Robin Williams film Awakenings. If you have not seen it, please go watch it. It is a great movie about seeing the good in life. Anyway, in the movie, Leonard Lowe comes down with a disease that leaves him in a catatonic state for 25 years. When the doctor, played by Robin Williams goes to visit with his mother, this is what she says:

"When my son was born healthy, I never asked why. Why was I so lucky? What did I do to deserve this perfect child, this perfect life? But when he got sick, you can bet I asked why! I demanded to know why! Why was this happening?"
                  Ruth Nelson as Mrs. Lowe, Leonard's mother

Yes we do ask why. Why is this bad thing happening to me? Now without denigrating the problems that people have, [and let me be clear, my life has had and does have it's share of problems] without denigrating the problems that people have, what would happen in our world if we started asking these questions......

Why was I born in America?
Why do I have people that love me?
Why did I get to live this long? [the average life span in Mozambique is 42]
Why can I see when others are blind?
Why do I own a car?
Why do I get these blessings?
Why do I get all of these things that so many in the world will never have?

Dear friends, sometimes the ability to see the good is simply the choice to change our focus from what we don't have, and see instead what we do have.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.



No comments: