Saturday, December 19, 2020

In His Time

I have known many well meaning Christians in my life who love to talk about "God's promises." Personally, I am not a fan of the song, "Standing on the Promises."

In effect what some folks are doing, is selecting a particular scripture and determining that this is a promise from God that can be claimed by them. They think that if we believe hard enough and have enough faith, that God is forced to abide by the promise.

There are several problems with this kind of thinking:
1. No consideration is give to the context of the supposed promise.
2. Reality does not bear up the infallibility of such promises.
3. God cannot be forced to do anything.

A good example of such a promise is Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I remember a young mother telling that she was claiming this promise. The problem is that this statement was made to Old Testament Israel, not to American Christians. Over the years, even though she continued to stand on this promise, her family has had all kinds of trouble. Did she not believe enough?

Now let me shift gears. There is at least one passage of scripture that I do consider a promise. In Ecclesiastes 3:11 "He makes all things beautiful in His time."

I have a friend, Lynn who ends each email with the phrase, "everything will be all right in the end. If things are not all right, then this is not the end."

I don't believe that we can control God. I don't believe that we can manipulate him by claiming promises. I believe that we live and we die. Some have beautiful lives of privilege. Others have lives filled with pain. We don't know why one life goes one way and why another life goes another. But we can trust God in all things and know that in the end, it will be beautiful. In the end, everything will be ok. God makes all things beautiful in His time.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: