Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Thankful

 I have always loved cars.  I love to work on the motors and I love to drive them.  I have been fortunate with cars.  My Dad bought me my first car when I was 16.  It was a 63 Ford Galaxie that got 8 miles to the gallon and about the same on a quart of oil.  He gave $100 for it. It had 100,000 miles on it when I got it.  It was worn out, but I loved it.

Over the years we have had lots of different cars.  How nice it is as I have gotten older that we can afford newer cars that are more dependable.

I guess I tend to take having a car for granted.

Yesterday I drove into Ft. Pierce to work at the church.  I noticed a fellow riding a three wheeler about a mile from the church.  I didn't think much of it.

I met Dick for breakfast and then we were off for our Monday sandwich delivery.  Before we started our rounds, I had to stop by the grocery store to get some chips and tangerines.

When I came out of the store I was walking towards my car.  I noticed the man on the red three wheeler that I had seen earlier that morning.  He was loading groceries from his grocery cart into the basket on his trike.  He had rode over a mile [at least] to get groceries.  Then he had to ride home again.

I was struck.  I was struck by how difficult life is for so many, and how east it is for so many more of us.  

I stopped and looked at my car.  I suddenly felt what a privilege it was/is to own a dependable car.  I paused to give thanks for my car.

We have so much.  We have so much to be thankful for.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: