Thursday, December 3, 2020

softball

back row - Gary Vaughn, Doug Hawley, me, Kent Chappelow, Stu Elliott, Jon Cundiff
Front row - Bruce Letner, Joe McMurtrey, Robin Fisher, and Darren Evans
Not pictured, Matt Swanson



I had a dream last night.

I was in Kansas City.  I was in Home Depot.  I started to run into guys from church that used to play in our softball league.  At the height of our softball heyday, we had 12 teams in a league, all from our church.  I find it hilarious that the teams were all named for roadkill.  The Snappers, the Armadillos, the Porcupines, the Woodchucks, etc.

Among the guys that I ran into in my dream were Tyler Stephenson, Paul Dodds, and three others who remained unidentified.  

We chatted softball.  We chatted the old days.  We chatted the glory days.  Bruce Letner used to tell me that we would play until we were 70.  I had to quit at 55 because my knee could no longer take it.

Oh, the fun we had playing ball, hanging out and telling stories.  I am smiling as I write of it now.

And here is the beautiful thing.  The past may be in the past, but no one can take the past from you.  No one can rob you of the memories.  And when you meet your old friends from your old memories, whether in person or in a dream, it all comes back.

I thank God for every person that I have known that was a delightful part of my past.  If you are reading this, you are probably one of them.  Or you could be a part of my present as well.

I thank God for good friends and good times.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.
Send replies to jsbrink57@gmail.com

No comments: