Friday, February 19, 2021

Ash Wednesday

In zero degree weather, a Woods Chapel
Church pastor applies ashes to a member.


Today is Friday, but two days ago was Ash Wednesday.  Over the past 30 years I stood face to face with somewhere between 5 and 10,000 people on Ash Wednesday.

It is the most humbling day of the year.  I shed many tears on Ash Wednesday.  People coming up in tears.  Me seeing them coming and knowing the grief that they had suffered in the last year.

It is the only day that I wear a robe.  Me myself and other pastors when I had them, stood down in front.  Members would make their way down to the front and I would say to them, "are you willing to repent of your sins and follow the way of the cross."  They would say, Yes.

Then I would put ashes on their forehead and say, "The sign of the cross marks you as a disciple of our lord and savior Jesus Christ."

Ash Wednesday was always a very holy day for me.

Three of my former associate pastors, texted me on Ash Wednesday to talk about how much that day meant to them.  We reminisced.

It is a holy day.

But wait...   Any day can be a holy day for that matter.

Are you willing to repent of your sin and follow the way of the cross?

Then the sign of the cross marks you as a disciple of our lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments: