Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Church Music

David Crowder's last album that he released was called "Church Music." If you're not sure who the David Crowder Band is, you may want to get more familiar with him. He has touched a nerve with many young worshipers by cultivating a new and creative sound that explores reinventing the old and using electronic media and unorthodox instrumentation. Of course church music is changing --always. For example check out the Michael Gungor band or Matt Papa --you may be hearing these in church soon. (Think Coldplay or One Republic)

So what is church music? We immediately might think about opening the hymnal and turning to page .... or we might think of the folk tunes of the early praise and worship movement "Seek Ye First" or of course, the crowning jewel of the praise and worship movement "Lord I Lift Your Name on High." Do I keep up with the trends --no way. But I do recognize that when a singer or musician or composer creates something beautiful, or powerful, or mysterious, or when it captures an emotion or truth where words have failed, God is present.

When it comes to how we present this in the church, when we have a body of people who obviously have different tastes in music and are moved by different styles....how do we approach selecting music? I suppose this is my job. I believe that we can begin by finding those songs that capture the heart beat of God, sung in a way that the instrument or the one who delivers the song connects the words in a way that people are allowed to enter into a glimpse of God's holiness, His eternal and mysterious nature.

Southern Gospel: Check out the Isaacs --this arrangement of "It is well" gets me every time
Black Gospel: I love the Mississippi Mass Choir --"I'm not tired yet."
Choral Music: I got to see the Mormon Tabernacle Choir when they came to KC --it was tremendous.
R&B --Toby Mac has struck a chord with many, I love "City on our Knees"

I guess the question that we need to be asking as we prepare church music is simple. And it's not what style, what singer, what genre, how fast, or slow, what instrument, how old is it. But Does it indeed move us into a place where we can enter into God's presence. My hope is that it happens for you at our church and perhaps you can assist me as we consider together, what is that music that stirs the soul to a more profound conviction, confession, confrontation with our Maker.

Peace,

the levite

3 comments:

fabulus50s@aol.com said...

Oh, to be moved by music. To feel the passion of the lyrics.

A few weeks ago I was privileged to attend a Christian concert here in the area. All three of the musical artists were absolutely amazing, but Chris Tomlin was my favorite. I was blown away by the participation of the audience as he sang--it was so obvious that they were feeling the spirit and the power of God as they sang praises to Him. The last song of the night, "Sing, Sing, Sing" had everyone on their feet jumping (or in my case, bouncing) to the music.

There are so many references in the Bible to "singing praises to God" and "dancing with joy." We should do more of it--it feels so good.

Thank you Kris for leading us and teaching us how to praise God in such a wonderful way.

mhaskamp said...

Check out my Tuesday Tunes for a song that recently caught my ear - I think it fits into what you're saying here. :-)

http://missyhaskamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

One of the things that I really like about woods chapel, is there is not just one style of music here. I think that helps us be more attentive, engaged and have a heart of worship. Otherwise it's easy to fall into a routine where we aren't paying to much attention to what is being sung. I have so many artists and styles of music that i like. One of my favorites is third day, that have many, many great songs. A couple of older songs that really make me think are, i gave my life for thee by Franc­es Hav­er­gal and it is well with my soul.