Thursday, August 5, 2010

A Holy Moment

Have you ever had one? One of those moments that is so pure, so true, so awesome, where you could say that was unmistakably God's presence. Make no mistake, these are unplanned, spontaneous moments where God steps in. Jeff has been sending me these pictures of the Redwood Forest that clearly display the awesomeness of our God in creation. Our response to seeing the rockies, or the black hills of South Dakota, or the grand canyon, or the birth of a child, is certainly one of awe.

But holiness...this is me shuttering before my creator and realizing God truly is in this. It's not an emotion, or a revelation, or an aha moment. This is Zechariah coming out of the temple upon hearing the news of a Savior...This is you and me experiencing the forgiveness of sin (Psalm 130:4)

We live in a time where there is very little that our culture recognizes as sacred anymore. And yet, God has put within us, a need and desire to experience holiness.

I invite you to wrestle with the words of this song by Addison Road. Catch a glimpse of His holiness and you will rediscover what it means to fear God. And the fear of God, after all, is the beginning of wisdom.


verse 1
I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from Heaven
But I talked the whole time
I think I made You too small
I never feared You at all No
If You touched my face would I know You?
Looked into my eyes could I behold You?
(CHORUS)
What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?
VERSE 2
I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees

Consider God's holiness today.

Make it a great one,

the levite

No comments: