Sunday, August 8, 2010

silence

Silence- we don't know very much about it. That is one reason, that each year I take a retreat to the redwood forest. Silence. There is nothing quite so quiet as being the only person for miles, out in the middle of a forest.

Silence reminds us that our souls are important. It reminds us that there is something going on in this world besides the crashing noisy input of our society. The great masters of the faith considered the practice of silence to be an important Christian discipline.

I thank the Levite for posting in my absense. Most days I had no readily available access to the internet- and I survived!

The noise of life can turn us into something that we don't want to be. Turn the TV off. Go sit outside for 30 minutes and just sit. Silence is good for the soul.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the thirty seconds of silence at dinner when everyone is chewing at the same time probably doesn't count, does it?

Sharon said...

I envy your time of silence among the redwoods. My personal favorite distant locale is the Grand Canyon--I know I've told you this before--I just love it.

And, rather than turn the TV on, I like to turn the music on--good music. Christian or oldies are my favorites.

I was proud of myself today for remaining silent and controling my ornery self. I saw you in the Celebration Garden through the window and I was so close to knocking on the window or making a silly face when I realized you were about to begin a prayer.

Whew! That was close. ; )

Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

This post brings up the age old question.....if a tree falls down in the forest and there's no one there to hear it....does it make a sound?