Wednesday, August 11, 2010

difficult things

[the pop up box that some of you were experiencing in the last few days has been resolved. It was not a virus. A picture that was posted was somehow directing readers to the woods chapel server which calls for a password. Sorry about the concern. It should be fixed now.]

Difficult things

Sometimes I get to visit with folks about difficult things that they are facing. Divorce, Family feuds. Problems at work. Etc.

Many of the problems that we face are not easily resolved. Some are not resolvable. Sometimes we are powerless to change what is happening and we are left dealing with things that turn into ongoing open wounds.

One of the best pieces of advice that I have collected over the years sounds something like this: "yes this thing makes you mad, yes this thing is very disturbing, yes we wish it was not here. What ever you do, be sure to conduct yourself in a manner that years from now you will not regret your behavior." In other words, yes this is a tough time, but don't act vindictively. Don't hurt the other people just because you are hurt.

If you can be kind when your heart is breaking, you can always look back on that chapter of your life with no regrets. Sometimes I have to take my own advice.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Been there done that and really messed up a relationship. I was so ready to hurt someone as much as I'd been hurt and in the end, an entire family was broken.

Luckily WCC offered a class on forgiveness and after almost 3 years, things are better--not like they were, but better.

What I learned was that living with regret and guilt was like torture--it ate at me constantly and I couldn't enjoy life.

I hope that your message today reaches lots of people that are caught in a stituation like this.

Thanks.