Thursday, August 19, 2010

more on guilt

Someone asked if Jesus delivered guilt. What about his pointed painful talks with the pharisees? I guess I would agree that Jesus squared off with a few people. He challenged them to stop oppressing and hurting people. I think there are people and systems in the world today that Jesus would challenge if he were here in person.

I do think that there is a difference between squaring off with someone, telling the truth as you see it, and delivering guilt.

Guilt is something that we use as a tool to manipulate people to do what we want them to do. Parents are known to do this to their children. Some pastors do this to their people. Some churches have a theological approach that is all about casting blame and shame in an attempt to straighten people up. Those that engage in delivering guilt generally tend to do so as a normal part of their mode of operation. They may not even see that they are doing it. After all, aren't they just trying to help people do right? But the end of such behavior is hurt and pain. The end of guilt delivery is broken and crushed people. We end up driving away the very people that we were trying to win.

Yes Jesus squared off with the arrogant. But Jesus did not in my opinion try to motivate people by shaming them or making them feel guilty. I don't think we should either.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I don't think you can "deliver" guilt. If you feel guilty about something, you probably are. You can deny guilt, but you can't receive guilt.

One Sunday while I was on duty as a hospitality team member, you came up to me and asked if I could seat a group of people. I immediately felt guilty--I still do. You didn't deliver that--it was in me. I knew I should have been more observant and aware that a group was waiting. I know it seems like a silly thing, but we can feel guilty about anything and everything that we know we've done wrong or haven't done right.

Trust me--I'm an expert on this subject. ; )

Anonymous said...

you make a good distinction between our delivering a message of guilt, and the holy spirt convicting us of guilt. (john 16:8). the truth is even the very way we live our lives can make others feel guilty. Gods words certainly certainly convicts (jeremiah 23:29, hebrews 4:12). I think you are just pointing out that its how we wield the sword.