Monday, December 6, 2010

Africa 5

People walking. In Mozambique, very few people have cars. At the dedication service, 600 people attended. I'll bet there weren't 10 cars at the church. The people walk everywhere they go, or they ride in a mini bus.

The mini-buses are privately owned and you see a lot of them in the city. It was not uncommon to count 19 people or more in a Toyota van. They pay a little bit to ride and the money goes to the owner of the van.People walking. In the city, along the highway, out in the middle of no where, people are walking. They are carrying everything. Bags, water jugs, something to sell, children. They are going somewhere and they are walking. It is a part of their life. It is common for them to walk miles simply to get water or buy a loaf of bread.

This is an example of how I wish my children could have gone on the trip with me and really seen how the people live. My kids have cars. People in Mozambique walk. Seeing how the rest of the world lives can often make us more grateful for the blessings that we have.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

1 comment:

Janice said...

Reading your posts about Africa, Jeff, brings back such wonderful memories in regard to the trip I took there with the church in 2005. It impacted my life to an extent that is difficult to describe to other people. I have never forgotten what I saw, especially the babies that were sick with aids. They were so sweet and helpless. I either wanted to bring them all home with me or stay and home them and love them. I am in agreement with you that the people there are not of the "give me more stuff" mindset. They were some of the most loving human beings that I would ever hope to meet. I felt an intense connection with the people there and have never lost the longing to return. I am so glad that you were able to travel to Mozambique and immerse yourself in something that has impacted your life's journey. I don't think you will ever lose the connection and intense emotion you feel for the people there; I know I haven't. Thank you for representing us and for sharing God's love with His children in Mozambique