Saturday, May 12, 2012

freedom of thought

I recently was engaged in a discussion with one of my children about a social/political issue.  She told me what she thought about the issues and asked my opinion.  I told her mine.  She was a bit surprised to be in a different camp than her Dad and I could tell that made her nervous.

I immediately told her that it is fine for her to disagree with me.  You don't have to agree with your parents on social, political or even religious matters.  I have to tell you, this is not how I was raised.  In my youth, you never disagreed with your parents.  They were right and you were wrong and if you didn't see it, you were shamed. 

I refuse to shame my child.  I frankly celebrate that they are thinking and coming up with their ideas.  Yes we will continue the banter, but they will know that they can make up their own minds on the issues of the day. 

And then I am thinking later about the fact that this is a gift to all Americans.  You don't have to follow the party line.  You can think for yourself.  You can protest.  You can run for office.  And we are all welcome, all cared for, all a part of the American family, or we should be.

This is a simple freedom that I think we too often take for granted..... freedom of speech and freedom of thought. 

At our church too, it is possible that we will not always agree.  That is fine.  There are lots of different kinds of folks in the kingdom of God.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: