Monday, May 28, 2012

memorial day

Later today we will drive to Mt Washington cemetery in Independence and visit the graves of my family.  When I was a child my parents took me there every year on memorial day.  Then after mom died, we went with Dad.  Then it was just Cathy and me and the kids.  We would always visit the graves in the rosehill garden section of Mt Washington and then take the kids over to the Hurst chapel and let them run up and down the stairs.  Dairy Queen was our final stop and then we would head home.

Today it will just be Cathy and I.  We will skip the stair climbing, but not DQ.  I suspect that in years to come, when one of their parents is gone, our children will return to this family tradition.

Today is a day to remember and honor our loved ones.  It is worth taking the time to do so.  Be very thankful for those that you have in your lives.  Nothing lasts forever.  Be thankful for the gift of their lives.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cait and I were talking about this yesterday. We would go first to Mt. Washington to see my paternal grandparents. Then drive through Independence and I'd show her the places where I'd lived and used to go to and the schools I attended. Then we'd go to Blue Springs Cemetery to see my maternal grandparents and aunt. We decided yesterday that it didn't feel like Memorial weekend for us since we weren't going to be able to take this trip now. She's in Canyon, I'm in Willis and there's no family left up there to visit the cemetery for us. I have a grandmother here in Texas and need to find out where the cemetery is so that I can visit her. This is a tradition that my daughter and I don't want to lose.

Cait was actually in DC several years ago over Memorial weekend. They were at the Vietnam Wall when many many bikers and other men showed up. She and one other girl ran to buy roses which they passed out to several men that she said were kneeling and crying. She still talks about that trip.

Tonia

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful and historic cemetery. So many Kansas City icons buried there. A real treausre in the east side of KC.

Make mine hot fudge sundae with nuts. But it may melt before you bring me my sundae Sunday.