Wednesday, May 9, 2012

hear the birds

We are all around it, and yet we so often miss it.  I received this email from a very fine young man.

For the first time in a long time today I stopped mindlessly consuming whatever it is I am constantly consuming, and I heard the birds singing. I never really understood before why that was the title of your blog. "Of course I can hear the birds," I would think. "They're always chirping and calling to one another." But today I heard them. I never understood before that there is a difference between simply hearing an audible sound and being present with whatever or whoever is speaking. The birds were calling to me today. "Peace, peace, peace, peace, peace," they chirped. "Be still and listen," they sang. I am grateful for the birds.

Very well said by my young friend.  This is a challenge to us all, but when we do listen, we are blessed.

It's a beautiful day in God's world, be sure to see the good.

No comments: